Political scientists Alan Abramowitz of Emory University and Norm Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute have a must-read op-ed in Sunday's Washington Post busting five myths about midterm elections:
1. Midterm votes foretell future election results.
2. It's an anti-incumbent year.
3. The president's message is crucial.
4. It's all about the economy.
5. Midterms provide mandates.
File this one away for November when pundits claim that the election results prove Obama had the wrong message and is going to lose in 2012.